March 30, 2011

6 months post op!!

Tomorrow marks a big milestone in my road to recovery - 6 months since my original ACL reconstruction! It's been quite a journey so far and I've still got a long way to go... in all honesty I am only half way there due to the early complications with infection and also due to my body shape / weight i.e. 6 ft 5 and weigh 97 kgs. I say this as my physio says it's hard for taller people who usually weight more to come back as the knee has to cope with and support more which makes sense.

Today I saw my physio for the first time in 5 weeks and he re-iterated that I am on track with my rehab program. He also said that I am around half way there but that I have caught up with most other people who would have had a knee reco around the same time last year which is encouraging to hear. He asked how my running has been going and I said that it has been good as I've been running twice a week (2-2.5 kms at a time) along with doing leg weights twice a week. He introduced me to two new exercises:

1) Hopping from side to side on my operating leg but supporting my weight by holding until something i.e. desk, table or bed. So I finally get to do some plyometrics!! I did this exercise in front of him and he said that it was noticeable that I had much more spring in more good leg which is to be expected at this stage. He wants me to do 4 sets of 30 seconds every day if possible.

2) Steps Ups (on a step or bench) - He noticed that when I did a couple of bridges on each leg that my glutes on my operated leg where lagging behind my good leg. So he wants me to do 3 sets of 15 steps ups. When it gets easy I will progress to holding 5 kgs dumbells in each hand

I will be doing the above 2 exercises for the next 5 weeks along with continuing with running and leg weights. He has also encouraged me to do more bike running and lots more walking. When he sees me next he will assess if I am ready to take the next step which is running between cones (weaving). I'm looking forward to the next few weeks and to progressing further hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment