November 14, 2010

6 weeks post op!

Friday marked 6 weeks since my original ACL reconstruction operation and around 4 and a half weeks since the 2nd operation to clear the infection. I am feeling very positive about my progress particularly in the last 2 weeks and I am happy I am now able to walk around reasonably comfortably although my knee does swell up if I walk too much or stand for too long.
Some milestones from the weekend:
·         Walking up and down stairs ‘normally’
·         Getting out of the shower with no assistance (previously always had to use one crutch due to the step we have to get in and out of shower)
·         First pool session!
·         Walking / standing for a couple of hours whilst watching the team I play for (Beaumaris SC) participate in a pre-season tournament
After the big gym session on Friday night I did my exercises once again at night followed by a 12 minute ride on the exercise bike. On Saturday I went for my first pool session which was great! I did 10 laps of the 25 meter pool (500 meters in total) and in between did some exercises including calf raises, one legged squats and controlled leg swings.  I found it a lot easier to walk in the pool and also managed to go half way down for the one legged squats. I was wondering if I am now able to do lunges in the pool so I’ll need to ask my physio next time I see him.  I also went into the hydrotherapy pool for a little while which was relaxing. At night I did my exercises followed by a short 5 minute bike ride. It is also worth mentioning that I did 100 straight leg lifts on each day over the weekend.
On Sunday I did my exercises in the morning and then watched Beaumaris play in a pre-season tournament. It was great to get out and about and to catch up with the guys. Following this I did some more exercises in the evening followed by a 14 minute bike ride which felt great. I am looking to another good gym session today!
6 weeks post op - operated leg on the top

No comments:

Post a Comment