November 21, 2010

Day 53 - Good progress continues...

Another week ticked over making it 7 weeks post the original op last Friday. The knee has progressed quite nicely since my last update and I’ve noticed I’m walking a lot better the last couple of days. I had an active weekend and each time my knee has pulled up well which I’m very happy about! After doing a 10 minute ride on the exercise bike on Thursday night along with all my exercises Friday commenced as usual with 3 sets of 10 of straight leg raises.
It was a busy day so I went to the gym after work and did a shoulder & bicep workout and then my leg workout. I did the following exercises:
·         Shoulders – Seated shoulder press (3 x 8), Seated lateral raises (3 x 12) & dumbbell front raises (3 x 12)
·         Biceps – Barbell curls (3 x 10) & Seated 45 degree angle dumbbell curls (3 x 8 each side)
·         Straight leg raises – 3 sets of 10 (both legs)
·         Calf raises – 3 sets of 10
·         One legged squats (1/4) – 3 sets of 10
·         Exercise ball on wall – 4 sets of 10 (6 sec squeeze)
·         Ab workout (crunches) – 3 sets of 20
Following this I went out for pizza on Lygon st with my wife and did a bit of walking. The knee felt fine and once we got home I did some further exercises along with a brief ride on the exercise bike (5 mins). On Saturday I commenced the day with SLRs and following relaxing in a cafe for a couple of hours before going to the pools to do some more rehab work. At the pools I walked approximately 15 laps at a faster pace this time. In between I did ¼ one legged squats (around 6 sets), one legged calf raises (around 6 sets) and controlled leg swings (around 6 sets again).
Some friends came over during Sat night but I still managed to excuse myself for 15 mins to do my exercises and to do 5 minutes on the exercise bike! I figured I didn’t need to do too much after spending nearly 1.5 hours in the pool during the day!  On Sunday I started the day with SLRs again and some quad tensing. We then had a really enjoyable Sunday in the sun spending around 4 hours in St.Kilda. I also saw Archie Thompson who had a knee reco 8 months ago and was happy to see both of his knees looking the same in terms of shape, size etc! It’s funny how you become obsessed with knees after you go through this! It was a morale booster to see how well he has done and he played his 3rd game on Wednesday for Victory although they lost L
I thought my knee would complain after sitting down for approx 4 hours (mostly in the shade though) however I was happy to see it didn’t swell up too much and actually felt fine once we got home. After having the in-laws over for a couple of hours I did my usual exercises followed by 8 minutes on the bike. I did enough without going overboard on the weekend and it seemed to be a good balance for me. Things are progressing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment