November 16, 2010

Day 48 - still a long way to go!

Yesterday was a good reminder that I still have a long way to go. After a good day on Monday where I went to the gym and did my usual exercises along with a 12 minute bike ride, yesterday didn’t go so well.  The day started in a rush as I woke up late and therefore didn’t have time to do my exercises in the morning – a bad start! I was then involved in a couple of meetings at work where I was sitting for long periods of time with my knee bent which didn’t help. I did manage to do my exercises during my lunch break which helped and I iced my knee afterwards. At this point I was doing ok.
However I had one further meeting after lunch (once again knee bent) and I then had a family dinner to attend after work. This is where the problems began! Standing waiting for my wife to pick me up for 30 minutes meant my knee had swollen up a bit (I did manage to find a seat at a nearby bus stop for around 15 minutes of the 30). Then an hour drive to her uncle’s house aggravated the knee further. We then stayed for around 2 hours where I was sitting for most of the time followed by a 40 minute drive to visit my grandma! After a quick visit it was off to my sister’s place to drop off a cake for my niece’s 7th birthday and we finally got home around 9pm! My knee was not happy!! I elevated and iced for 30 minutes before doing my exercises and a short 6 minute ride on the exercise bike.
I now realise how much further I have to go but then again it was a long day where I wasn’t really looking after my knee as I usually do. The previous day (Monday) was a good one where I did the following in the gym:
·        Chest workout – Incline bench press (3 x 10), seated chest press (3 x 8) & dumbbell flyes (3 x 10)
·         Straight leg raises – 3 sets of 10 (both legs)
·         Calf raises – 3 sets of 10
·         One legged squats (1/4) – 3 sets of 10
·         Exercise ball on wall – 4 sets of 10 (6 sec squeeze)
·         Ab workout (crunches) – 3 sets of 20
I also did my exercises at home (quad tense lying down, pressing knee down with ankle on towel, SLRs, lateral leg raises, hamstring stretch) as well as a 12 minute bike ride. Today I will be going to the gym to do my leg work as well as doing a back / triceps workout. Tomorrow I will be seeing my surgeon for another follow up and he will also review the results of the blood test which I had done this morning. Hopefully today is better than yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment