November 2, 2010

Progress since the 18th of October

I will include all of my diary entries from the 18th of October until today as they are all very short. Hopefully I will continue to provide fairly regular updates from here onwards!
October 18th – Flexion approx up to 70 degrees
October 20th – went out for coffee and flexion now up to 90 degrees!
October 22nd – I was able to do straight leg raises lying down for the first time since the first couple of days after the 1st operation (5 in total). I lost the ability to do these 4-5 days after the original operation most likely due to the infection.

My swollen knee after a shower
October 23rd – more straight leg raises (3 in total) although does cause some pain in knee (pain probably 2 or 3 out of 10)
October 24th – Flexion now up to approx 100 degrees possibly more
October 25th – I saw the surgeon for a review following the 2nd operation. He was happy with my progress and asked me not to formally commence PT as yet. I will have a follow up appointment next week to check my progress again. I am now allowed to do some light bike riding (5-10 mins at a time) which is a relief.

Doing my exercises on the couch
October 26th – first day back at work. Went well and energy levels were good. I did my exercises 4 times today.
October 27th – I was very sleepy today and struggled to get through work particularly in the afternoon. Late at night I had a breakthrough and was able to do 3 x 10 straight leg raises! Big relief!
October 28th – much better day and I felt stronger in the operated leg. I did more straight leg raises (1 set of 10) along with usual exercises. I used 1 crutch around the house at night. I bought an exercise bike on ebay for $32 (absolute bargain!) and I’m looking forward to using it soon!
October 29th – Continuing good progress. ROM now up to around 120 degrees and I used one crutch around work. Still continuing with the usual exercises.
October 30th – I did more walking than usual during the morning on one crutch and was a little sore in the afternoon. Usual exercises done throughout the day.
October 31st – Picked up exercise bike which was bought on eBay. I did 10 minutes on the bike with the seat put at the highest level and done on 2nd lowest resistance. I felt a little sore afterwards as expected and iced my knee afterwards. I did my usual exercises as well.
November 1st – Back at work for another day. I did my usual exercises. I had a massive breakthrough when I was able to walk for the first time without crutches for around 5 metres or so. It was more like a hobble with lots of limping but still a good sign! I will continue to use only one crutch from here onwards. I did a further 10 mins on the exercise bike (resistance 3 out of 10) with the seat one notch lower.
November 2nd – Day off work due to Melbourne Cup day. I did exercises in morning before going for a BBQ at a friend’s house. I didn’t do too much during the day although I did do exercises again around 7pm at their place – consistency is the key! I Got home around 10:30pm and did around 7 mins (2 km) on the exercise bike on level 3 again. I am starting to get more confident and stronger on the bike.

Big difference between my legs
November 3rd – Did usual exercises in the morning and on lunch break. I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow so looking forward to that. Hopefully get the all clear to commence formal physio sessions. I already made an appointment at 1pm (lunch break) on Friday with Gordon McDonald at the Melbourne Sports Med centre.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ammar,
    I have to admit that I am really feeling motivated after reading this. I find myself in the same situation with an infection after my ACL surgery. Have been religiously reading your blog since then to motivate myself.

    ReplyDelete