November 3, 2010

Follow up with surgeon

It's now been nearly 5 weeks since my 1st operation and 3 and half weeks since the second operation. I had my follow up with the surgeon this morning and he's satisfied with my progress although he wants me to get the swelling down as soon as possible! He suggested icing the knee more times during the day along with elevation and doesn't want me to overdo it with the bike and other exercises. I'll be continuing on antibiotics for another 2 weeks apparently and also starting to take an anti-inflammatory to assist in getting the swelling down!
I actually wrote a list of questions to ask the surgeon (as I always forget what to ask otherwise) so here were today's questions and his response:
1) Is swelling & a purple / red colour normal after a hot shower?
Yes quite normal. The swelling will eventually go but the focus is to get it down as much as possible. He also stated it's preventing me getting my flexion any further than the approx 120 degress I can get at the moment.
2) Am I now able to put any cream on my knee?
Yes - Vitamin E cream or Bio Serum is fine.
3) What are the chances of the staph infection coming back? How will it be monitored?
Chances of it coming back now are very minimal. He mentioned that generally he only needs to do one 'flush out' following infection but in some cases he has to do it three times. He also mentioned that if it does come back it's generally the first few days after the 2nd op. The reason he has me continuing on the antibiotics are to ensure it doesn't come back.
4) Am I allowed to travel on the plane on the 4th of December (holiday to Bali)? If yes should I take a walking stick to show others I am injured?
Yes I can travel then. Walking stick can be taken if required otherwise he told me just to be careful and not go in the ocean. Walking along the beach and swimming will be fine at that stage.
5) Should I be taking an anti-inflammatory for swelling at this stage?
He beat me to this one! He recommended I take them at this stage.
6) When am I allowed to commence hamstring exercises?
Immediately. I can continue hamstring stretches as well as any other exercises but prefers me to wait until I see my physio.
7) Am I allowed to take pro-biotics each day?
Yes that's fine.
8) Can I now see a physio? (As I already booked one for tomorrow)
Not as yet (cancelled the appointment) but can commence next week.
9) Am I now able to do more than 10 mins at a time on the exercise bike?
Not as yet. The focus at this stage should be on getting my swelling down.
As you can see I had a few questions.... hopefully this helps any of you which have similar questions! Tonight I'll take it fairly easy by elevating and icing my knee. I'll most likely do another 7-10 mins on the bike depending how I'm feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment