November 7, 2010

Ice, Ice and more Ice!

So with the focus being on reducing the swelling in my knee based on the surgeon’s advice a lot of my weekend was spent with my right knee elevated above heart level using lots of ice! I did this by lying on the couch putting 3 large cushions under my leg and by pushing the top cushion a little further back it gave me the added bonus of being able to keep my leg straight as well. I spent most of Friday night with my leg about heart level (approx 3 hours) and a lot of Saturday night in the same position (once again 3 maybe 4 hours).  I was icing every 2 hours for 15-20 mins.
On Saturday I ventured out for a bit with my lovely wife and family to the Botanical gardens to help me keep sane! I’m still on one crutch as need it for support due to the swelling. Whilst at the Botanical gardens I was able to ‘win’ an auction on eBay with a great adjustable walking stick only costing me $10.70 ($3.40 for the walking stick and rest for delivery!) – What a bargain! I’m looking forward to getting it as I think I can now get around on a walking stick as the crutch can become uncomfortable under the arm pit. I am getting frustrated by the swelling though as it seems every time I stand for 10 minutes or so or walk around a bit my knee swells up quite a bit. After walking for a while at the botanical gardens my knee swelled up again (keep in mind I’m also using a tubigrip bandage) and we decided it was time to go home.
In between watching soccer (A-League and EPL) as well as playing Championship Manager 2010 I did some research on natural remedies for reducing swelling. Before I go on I have to say it was also inspiring to see Archie Thompson play his first game in 8 months after his ACL operation! There is actually a lot of information out there on this exact topic surprisingly. I talked to my dad about it for a while on Sunday and he mentioned a good friend (who was also a nurse) recommended using cabbage! Interesting I thought but I was willing to give it a go as I remember how much potato and onions helped 5 years ago to draw a lot of the toxins out of my badly injured ankle at the time. So my dad came over, battered the leaf a bit to ensure some of the juices came out and placed on my knee and then rolled gladwrap around it! Here is a picture which looks quite funny:

Yes that is cabbage on my leg!!

I used the cabbage for around 7 hours during the day and also used another piece overnight (once again around 7 hours). After removing the first piece I have to say my knee did feel better but the swelling was not reduced, if anything it heated the area which is probably not the best for reducing swelling! However, after this I was able to hit the bike for 11 minutes working up a real sweat for the first time in a long time doing 3.6 kms on level 4 (out of 8 levels) so I was pretty happy with this.  I also did the bike on Saturday for 7 mins (around 2.2 kms) along with my usual exercises a couple of times a day. Back to the cabbage – I’ve decided it probably is useful but for a shorter period of time and without gladwrap as that keeps the heat in. Using a breathable tea towel is probably a better option.

I’ve also decided to give Electric Soda a go tonight as apparently that’s also a good way to reduce swelling. I’ll see how it goes; I might even give the potato a go once again if this doesn’t go to plan!  I have to mention I have also started using an anti-inflammatory table since getting them on Saturday so I hope using that in additional to some 'home' remedies will help get the swelling down.

No comments:

Post a Comment